Frequently Asked Questions

Military & Veterans

    • Do you accept MyCAA or TA benefits?

      Your MyCAA or Tuition Assistance benefits can be applied to any career training program. Simply submit your voucher to us so that we can help you with the registration process.  Please note, since these are non-credit programs, the Army will not approve TA benefits at this time.

    • How can I use my Veterans benefits to cover the cost of my program?

      First off, thank you for your service to our country!  To see what program apply, please check the Military page. The required documentation differs depending on your benefit, so we’ve created an information packet to help simplify the registration process for you.  Just download the packet, complete the forms, and email or fax back to us and we’ll take care of the rest!

    • Can I use my benefits for more than one program?

      Per VA regulations, you may not utilize your VA educational benefits for two different programs at the same time, regardless of the institution. This means that you cannot take classes at another institution or Excelsior College at the same time you are using your benefits for your Center for Professional Development program.

General Questions

    • What is the best way to search for a program I am interested in?

      It’s on-demand, so you will always have the most up-to-date information at your fingertips.  Simply go to the search box and type what you are looking for.  If you can’t find what you are looking for, you may call us for more information.

    • I know what program I want to take, when does it start?

      Most career training programs are open-enrollment, allowing you to register and start working whenever you are ready.  Other programs, including short courses, have a monthly start date – you can find more information on the program details page.

    • Are all of your programs non-credit?

      All of our courses and programs are non-credit; however, certain career training programs have been evaluated and approved for transferable credit recommendations. To learn more about how your program might apply towards a degree, visit the Credit Recommendation page of our site.

    • Do I have to enroll at Excelsior College before I register?

      All courses and programs offered through the Center for Professional Development can be taken independently – there is no need to apply or enroll in the College.

    • How can I pay for my program?

      When you register, you have the option to pay with a credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover), money order, check, or payment plan.  Selecting a payment plan lets you break the program fee into four payments.  You choose the amount of the first payment (minimum 25% of the total) and the balance will be paid over three consecutive months. Just be sure not to miss more than three payments; otherwise, your account may be terminated.

    • Can I use financial aid?

      Since our professional development programs are non-credit, they are not eligible for financial aid.

    • My company wants me to take a program – can you accept a purchase order or check?

      We can take either!  Please let us know if you will be using a PO or check to pay, as we will need to take different steps to process your registration.

    • Will I have to purchase textbooks?

      No, all textbooks or learning materials included will be provided to you. You can expect to receive your materials 7 – 10 days after registration.

    • Is the software I need included with my program?

      Unless otherwise stated, required software is not included as part of your learning materials. Before you register, please make sure you have access to all the software programs specified.

    • Does my program include the certification exam?

      Our certification prep programs are designed to give you the foundational knowledge you need to successfully pass but, unless otherwise stated, they do not include the registration fees for any certification exams.  You will need to register separately in order to sit for your exams.  If you are thinking about or working towards a degree, check the Exam and Assessment Options to see if your credential will waive any credit requirements.

    • How long will it take to complete a career training program?

      Programs are self-paced, so you can work at your own speed.  We recommend that you dedicate at least 10 hours a week to working on your course work, since this will keep you on track to complete within the time allotted for the program.

      If you are using Veterans benefits, you will be expected to complete a minimum of 9 hours per week in your course. To determine your completion time (weeks) at half-time status, simply divide the total program hours by the 9 clock hours per week.  You should also review the Satisfactory Academic Progress and Standard of Attendance policy.

    • Can I request a refund?

      Unfortunately, once a program is accessed or materials ship, we will no longer be able to process a refund request.

    • Help, I only have a few days left and I’m not quite finished with my program. Is it possible to request an extension?

      Most programs offer you between six and twelve months to complete; however, we know that situations might arise that prevent you from working on your course work.  Please contact us in writing immediately if you suspect you will need more time.  As a reminder, all claims are initially processed at a half time rate of pursuit. If you request an extension, or your studies continue beyond your initial end date, your VA Claim will be adjusted to reflect a reduced rate of pursuit. This will also impact your VA Claim end date.  You can also refer to our Extension Policy for more information.

    • Can I put my program on hold?

      We understand that at times there are unavoidable obstacles that will prevent you from completing program coursework. In these cases, you may request to place your program on hold. Examples of these situations would be: military deployment orders, or emergency medical situations. To request a Program Hold, you must submit appropriate documentation supporting your request to the Center for Professional Development. Acceptable documentation can include military move orders, or a letter from a doctor detailing the your inability to complete coursework during a given time frame. Requests will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and must be submitted in writing. Approved Program Holds are at the discretion of the Center for Professional Development and Excelsior’s VA Office.

    • How do I know if I passed the course?

      A passing grade at Excelsior College is 70 or better.

    • What will I get when I successfully finish my program?

      In addition to your newfound knowledge and skills, we will send you a Certificate of Completion that is suitable for framing!  We also encourage you to update your resume to show off your professional development.  Your Certificate will be mailed to your home address, so please make sure to check the Profile area within your MyExcelsior account to be sure we send it to the right place!